Tuesday, November 19, 2013

the birthday party

details

As I have said before, I absolutely LOVE party planning. I start thinking of the kid’s birthday party months and months in advance and I love coming up with a theme. I think I have it a little harder than most because I have to come up with something that is suitable for a boy and a girl, and this narrows the ideas down a ton. I came across a carnival birthday party on Pinterest one day and I thought that would be a great party theme that would work for both genders.  Since their birthdays are a week apart we are going to stick to one, big, birthday party celebration and have double the fun, or at least for now. My dad offered to have it at their house and their backyard was the perfect location.

A special thanks to Heather for taking these pictures for us and for helping with the party! You did an amazing job and if anyone is looking for a great photographer, check her out!

IMG_0802

I had the vision in my head of what I wanted and then of course started googling and looking on Pinterest for help with my vision. I got so many great ideas and I had the easiest time finding circus/carnival themed party supplies.

IMG_0814

The pinwheels came from Oriental Trading. I made the banner with fabric from Hobby Lobby, bias tape and stitch witch.

IMG_0823

The napkins I got on a trip to Ikea and the popcorn holders came from Hobby Lobby. I made multiple trips to Hobby Lobby so that I could use my 40% off coupon on pretty much every item I bought from there. Smile

IMG_0829

Harris is obsessed with nachos and popcorn so I knew these had to be on the menu and they just so happen to be circus food also. I got the nacho holders off of Etsy.

bdayparty133

I made party hats for some of Harris’ animals out of cardstock and pompoms. I painted the wooden letters from Hobby Lobby. The picture of the babes was one that I took at the fair that had just so happened to be in town a few weeks before the party.

IMG_0833

Had to have hotdogs of course.

bdayparty134

IMG_0859

The dessert table had cupcakes and the kids smash cake (which I guess they are too old for) and cookies. The yarn banner was made by my sister and me. The red and white fabric came from Ikea. The cake plates were plain and I just hot glued red pompom ribbon around the edges.

bdayparty131

 

IMG_0861

The cake bunting is made with left over fabric and some striped straws.

IMG_0872

The cute hotdog holders are from my friend Sandahlyn and I am pretty sure she got them from the Target $1 section.

IMG_0855

These cookies just so happened to be at the grocery store the week of the party. I thought they went perfect with the theme of the party.

IMG_0874

The cotton candy came from Oriental Trading and Sam’s. Cotton candy is very finicky though and if it gets too warm it will shrink Sad smile

IMG_0881

IMG_0898

We also had a snow cone station at the party. Pretty much all of this was on sale or clearance because it was the end of the summer.

IMG_0900

bdayparty132

I ordered the red pompom garland off of Etsy.

bdayparty135

Circus animals were in charge of holding down the balloons for us. Smile

IMG_0950

Thanks so much to Papa and Rhonda for the big bouncy house and thanks to the Laney’s for the small bouncy house! The kids LOVED them!

IMG_1098

The red banners are from Oriental Trading and a big thank you to Sandahlyn again for letting me borrow some of hers. IMG_1103

 

IMG_1191

 

Special thanks to my sister who helped me for a week straight or more with this party. She is such a trooper and I could not have done it without her! I am not sure how she puts up with me Smile.  Also, to Papa and Rhonda for letting us have this crazy party at their house and for ALL of the hard work they put into their to house to get it ready for it. The kids absolutely had a blast and will remember it forever!

Next post will be about the actual party and pictures of the kids Smile

3 comments: